Airplane buddy



I've flown on my own several times now. The first time was daunting but there's really nothing to worry about except who you'll be sat to for the duration of your flight.
I have had several different experiences, an Indian man moving to Canada to see his wife for the first time in 10years, an Australian Protestant going to a woman's Christian conference (she didn't know the concept of sleeping on a plane, kind chatterbox she was).  On my most recent flight however, I was sat next to someone who I could relate to seeing as we were born within the same decade. Also helps that there was an obvious unspoken attraction between us. Airplane romances are stereotypical and overdone in the literature and media world but who doesn't love a good stereotype.
We seemed to have a lot in common with enough differences to keep things interesting. The fact that we were sat in tight quarters whilst everyone else around us slept intensified the mood and made us open up in a way we most likely wouldn't have if we had been sat on a bus or in any other setting.
We talked for several hours in hushed voices and then eventually tried to sleep though that was made impossible by the fact that I'm pretty sure we were both peeking at each other when the other wasn't looking, at least I was. He did at some point fall asleep holding my hand. And while I would have liked to be able to reach for my headphones under his arm I did have his light snore to listen to instead.
And again following the stereotypes, we lost track of each other in customs, though we had planned on meeting up after to find the train station together. I guess it makes it more of a story that way.
It's all very Hollywood-esque, as I wait to see if he kept the napkin I cheesily wrote my name and number on and reach out or not.
And either way it makes for a great storyline but I personally hope this one will have a sequel.

Comments

Popular Posts