The Beginning of Life | Opinion Piece

One of my 2017 goals was to watch more documentaries. I love learning and I love watching movies so why I have a tendency to avoid documentaries is beyond me. Today I watched my first documentary of the year and my lord how I loved it.My plan was to clean my room while watching it but I got to enthralled and well here I am writing an unplanned opinion piece in my still messy room. So for those who know me well my choice in documentary would be no surprise because of my baby fevered existence but in any case today I found myself watching "The Beginning of Life" on Netflix. 


"One of the biggest discoveries in neuroscience is: When a person is born, it is not just a genetic load. We are formed by our genetics, combined with our relationship with everything around us. Be - The Beginning of Life investigates what separates us and what is essential to all of us, how we can create a better society by investing in the first years of our lives." -IMBD

As the blurb suggests, this film talks about the fundamental importance of the early years of child's life. From mothers, to fathers, to community. It touches on so many social issues that are so so so paramount in the raising of kids. As we've often been told children are the future and it is essential to raise generations of independent, creative and kind-hearted individuals. Even if this film does not go too in depth it still is an amazing stepping stone into things we must be aware of.

Whether like me you want to be a midwife, or if you want to be/are a parent or even if you have the luxury of spending time with kids, this is a must see documentary. But because I do want to be a midwife and I most definitely want kids of my own I found it even more interesting. My dream is to be a midwife and help bring babies into a safe and loving world, by preparing the parents prenatal, assisting in the labour and creating an ante-natal support and programs. By watching this film I saw so many opportunities that my heart yearns to undertake right now. 


My lovely sister and her family (He's so much bigger now)

When the film touches on poverty and social struggles that exist in the world, I felt like making the contents of my wallet ( which admittedly are very meager) and all my free time rain down on all the parents of the world. I know how difficult it can be to raise children, not through my own experiences but through working with young mothers and through helping my sister and friends with their own babies. 

One thing I loved that they mentioned in the documentary is the Swahili proverb "Asiyefunzwa na mamae hufunzwa na ulimwengu" which means "It takes a village to raise a child". And follows the proverb by saying why do we put so much pressure on a mother not to fail, when it is also the responsibility of the family, friends, neighbours and even the nation to step in when needed and help the mother out. For those of you who are parents you know that it is a hell of a lot of work and near impossible to achieve on your own and as the proverb points out, you aren't supposed to do it all on your own. 

There are so many other points I'd like to make in regards to "The Beginning of Life" and I'm sure if I were to re-watch it I would find so many more to add to the list but my point here is its a formidable documentary that for one was a good place to start in my documentary adventure and two is a good film for all of you reading this to watch and then come back and discuss it with me. (I love a good discussion almost as much as I love a good cup of tea, so don't hesitate to let me know your opinion on parenting either based on your own knowledge or on the documentary itself.)

Comments

Popular Posts