The Airport Story

Less than three month ago I had a very rushed morning of last minute packing and rushing sleepy eyed to the airport to make a return trip to Ottawa to see my family again. It was all very rushed and unorganized and seemingly something out of a tv show but despite that I made it home.

It all started with my morning alarm not waking me up. I had to be on the train at 7:40 so I set my alarm for 6:40, instead my cousin woke me up at 7:00 letting me know we had to be in the car in 10. So I manage to get on the train still half asleep but fully dressed with only a few stray belongings left at my cousins (sadly my rubik cube is one of these forgotten items).

So I get to the airport and I'm all flustered and I have no idea where to go because Gatwick is a confusing airport to navigate. You have to go from the train station to a different station for the airport train to take you to the other terminal, this second station is good walk and a few stairways away from where I arrived.  I then have to go down a floor to print off my ticket and then back up the same way to get to security. The line for security at this point is pretty long which is only to be expected but what sucks is once I'm finally about to go through the scanner won't accept my ticket...like at all, the ticket printer messed up and only printed half a barcode... which just proves to me that machines have a long way to go. This also meant I had to go back down and find an airport officer to help me print off a second ticket since the machine said I had already checked in.

Up, Down, up, back down and back up again is what I've done by the time I get through security. And Because I decided to travel with only a carry on my suitcase was so tightly packed the security scan couldnt see through it and they had to open the entire suitcase up before I could go through to my departure gate.
                           

By now I'm looking forward to sitting down and buying myself a breakfast and nice cup of tea and even perhaps buying duty free goodies for friends and for myself. Do I get a chance to do this... of course not because August 18th 2016 is just NOT MY DAY.  The screen showing all departures tells me my gate is now boarding... like what... Im supposed to have a good 45min of chilling right now! So I scurry to my gate with only a pee break to slow me down ( I still haven't peed since waking up and my bladder is desperately stating its needs.)

I get to my gate with dismal surprise though as they haven't even started boarding yet and everyone is just casually hanging around listening to music and eating. So I walk past a mix of cute british/canadian cute guys and go to a seat infront of an enticing vending machine of drinks and snacks. If this were a movie people would be shouting at the screen for the girl not to trust the vending machine and I would be the innocent doe eyed girl who goes right ahead and uses the damned thing and it only turns disastorous as every audience member predicted.
What could go wrong with a vending machine you may be thinking. Well let me tell you, the card slot of this machine could swallow your bank card and refuse to give it back... it could also not give you what you asked for and it could have an entirely useless tech support number on it. This tech support would just put you on hold and then eventually just hang up on you leaving you panicking.

This whole evil machine thing though did show me that canadians really are kind-hearted, as a couple tried to help me and they too failed at pulling out my card, the couple even asked airport staff to help, though they just apologized and walked away. But then the first boarding call was announced and the couple left to board. This just almost sends me into a full fledged panic attack as more and more people leaving the departure lounge and board the plane, and I just stand there wondering if I'll have to just leave my card in the machine and call my bank to cancel it.

And now as my airport saga reaches an end in comes one of the aforementioned cute guys, who just takes out his headphones as he walks by to board the plane and says "Here, let me give it a try." And just pulls out my card as if its the easiest thing in the world. You know those moments in life when youre pushing desperately at a door and it just won't open but then some put together angel-like person just walks up and pulls it open and you just feel mortified... yeah thats what this was like... but when I say this guy was cute I mean like freaking HOT and perfect and amazing in every aspect.

But yeah... a hectic morning... luckily the crazy ends there and my flight went fine and I got home safe and sound and overcame jetlag quickly. But let me tell you... if there ever was an anxiety resiliency test an airport day like this would be it. Which even though I would never want a repeat of this ever again I'm proud to say I passed the test. So... YAY for me I guess???

Comments

Popular Posts