A Weekend in Mauricie

I've been working like crazy recently which has been a big lifestyle change. A step in the right direction. But it does mean however that I haven't had that much time off to relax and enjoy the summer.

Luckily one of my friends invited me and another couple other friends to go camping with Parks Canada, aka his work. Parks Canada is in charge of all national parks and each year they hire youth ambassadors in hopes to reach out and get more young adults to explore and appreciate the beautiful forests and wildlife around them. This year for Parks Day they organized a camping trip at La Mauricie National Park.


So last Friday after getting home from work I packed like crazy trying to make sure I didn't forget anything (like a sweater... Which FYI is a very important part of the no mosquito campaign), and I begrudgingly set my alarm for 6am. The next morning all I had to do was put the food in the cooler and catch the 7:05 bus to my friend Kat's house.


After going to the wrong address we finally got to OttawaU where the bus we were taking was leaving from. We filmed a few bits and were on our way by 10am. With only stopping for a quick restroom and lunch break we arrived at the campsite around 2pm whereby we all took on the task of putting up our tents. Some of us... My friends and I... Were a bit quicker than others and got to go for a swim before everyone else and swam across the lake.


After watching some ducks, giving massages and drying out in the sun some of us decided a sunset yoga session was in order, let me tell you that I am unfit and entirely inflexible but the beautiful view made up for my yoga inadequacies.



Supper, campfire and mosquito killing followed until I finally went into the tent for an early night, though really I just needed a break from the blasted mosquitos that seemed determined not to leave me alone until I had either gone mad or until there was no blood left in me.

The next day after a quick breakfast we filmed some more bits for Parks Canada and then headed out on an expedition to the cascades, which ultimately failed due to our timing of things though we did get to jump off a bridge.

 
We got back to the campsite, packed up and headed home. Once I was home the itching kicked in and I managed to count 130 mosquito bites before losing track but all in all I had such a fun time that I would gladly go again. I feel so lucky that I get to have weekends like this with friends like I do. Here's to many more memories to be made...



Comments

Popular Posts