Bright Side By Kim Holden | Book Review

"Kate Sedgwick’s life has been anything but typical. She’s endured hardship and tragedy, but throughout it all she remains happy and optimistic (there’s a reason her best friend Gus calls her Bright Side). Kate is strong-willed, funny, smart, and musically gifted. She’s also never believed in love. So when Kate leaves San Diego to attend college in the small town of Grant, Minnesota, the last thing she expects is to fall in love with Keller Banks. 
They both feel it. 
But they each have a reason to fight it. 
They each have a secret." 

Description from goodreads

I read this book because I had nothing to read, because it was in a recommended section on goodreads and had an average rating of 4.66, which is pretty darn good. I was looking for romance and this is one, a sexy, witty, moving romance and it surpassed my expectations.I have to admit I laughed out loud often and sobbed in the last few chapters and I am so excited to pick up the second book of the series to read more of Kim Holden's work. I know this doesn't properly convey how good this book was but I can tell you I finished it within the day and would rate it a five-star. this is definitely the kind of book I will re-read and will always recommend to someone.

When I started reading this I thought the character was to perfect, unrealistic to be so charismatic and brilliant and to have such perfect friends even though you had no family. To be so good at controlling your anger and sadness to push it out and only celebrate the good. Kate is everything I would ever love to be, if I could enjoy my life and be as spontaneous as her I would never question myself again. So when I read it I thought no one could ever be like Kate, no one could ever have so many demons in their closet yet be so utterly generous, loving and open minded. But then you realize she's not perfect and neither are any of her friends but the fact that they're all willing to put their feelings aside and be there for one another is so beautiful.

You slowly see the characters develop as well as the story line (this really is a slower paced book if you were looking for action) but there are always little moments that keep you hooked. There are several little secrets that you need to find out and that keep you reading and guessing, like why does Keller go to Chicago every weekend? Or what was Kate's home life really like? Why does Kate hint at medical problems but we don't really see its effects on her life? Kim Holden has a talent of using simple writing but witty and deep characters to keep you interested.

Kate is witty to the core, caring, fun, and also very sad. The book is so incredibly moving; to see her care for so many others and at the end have to see her be cared for. It really does make you see how there is a bright side to everything and how instead of hardening ourselves to put ourselves out there and be a great friend because when you are a good person the people around you will start treating you like you treat them.

I really do recommend the book to any one looking for a summer read, a book to read on the bus or something to fill your weekend.
(p.s. The summary really doesn't do it justice and if you read the book and don't enjoy it I am sorry I certainly thought it was a good one)

Comments

Popular Posts